How Resilient Are You?

Greetings!

Before I get started, here is my disclaimer: I am not a clinical counselor, social worker or licensed therapist. I am blogging for entertainment, information and to act as a resource. My master's degree is in conflict resolution, and 100s of hours of additional training in peacemaking, co-parenting, family issues, emotions and mental health issues over the past 25 years. Now,  Let's talk about how to reduce stress during crisis and conflict...

First, we need to understand a few things about resilience. What is resilience, you may ask? One definition is: The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness. In other words, how well do you cope with challenges, stress and conflict? That's what resilience means. Some people are more resilient than others. They are able to help others deal with life challenges that may otherwise cause someone else to literally have a nervous breakdown or become suicidal. You don't have to be a psychiatrist, therapist or counselor to help others through a difficult time. You need to be empathetic, compassionate and resilient.

As a mediator I wanted to broaden my understanding of how to cope with my own stress and issues in order to handle others that are dealing with crisis and conflict. I believe it makes me a better mediator. The Texas Tech Physicians of Midland offer a monthly luncheon presentation called "Mental Munchies". Wherein their physicians present various topics for mental health and service providers dealing with the symptoms, engagement and providing services to youth and adults with various issues. I haven't missed many over the past year. Sometimes they had two lucheons a month. Their topics included, dealing with emotions, grief, bi-polar disorder, youth and self-harm, etc. I have learned so much about myself and how I cope with stress, crisis and conflict and it has made me more engaged and available for my clients and you!

So, how resilient are you? How do you manage stress? How do you manage conflict? How did you cope with the last crisis in your life? What are your go-to coping skills?

Let me know your thoughts. I'll be back tomorrow with mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog